How Genetics Affects Addictions

There are many people who have to live fighting a form of addiction. When they get to have kids, they shall wonder whether their addiction was passed down to them. Here is more info on what being a parent with an addiction means.
Addictions, it is sad to learn, are genetic. When kids whose parents were addicted in their time get to their teenage years, they are more susceptible to fall into some form of addiction. This addiction can be blamed on genetics and behavior. This goes to show the contributions of behavior alongside those of genetics. How you behave, and consequently how your children end up behaving will affect their chances of being addicts. Children learn most things from their parents.
When you look at the DNA in human beings, you will find that we are similar up to 99.9% of ourselves. We have all our differences to lay on the remaining 0.1% That similarity means that even family members share more than we can scientifically calculate. Traits such as diseases, and even addictions are therefore not that hard for you to copy from each other. Therefore, having an addiction shod cause you to worry about your child’s fate.
We can also closely examine how behavior is a major part of an addiction. The way you behave in front of your child affects them profoundly. Those who use drugs or alcohol never miss some of it around them. This also places it near their kids. This is how they will get used to such things much earlier than usual. You also have to think of how you expect the child of an addict to end up behaving. You are bound to develop some behavioral issues, one of them, unfortunately, being that addiction.
It is worth mentioning that after having experienced what an addiction does to a family, the lessons learned will have them always conscious of addictions. Some of those kids raised in such homes will not entertain the tough of an addiction, seeing as how it robbed them of so much joy growing up. They will, therefore, do their best to make sure that this does not become the story of their lives in the future. You can make another positive contribution in their lives by making sure that this is not how history now repeats itself.
There is the simple approach of you taking time to talk to them about drug and alcohol addiction, and how that affected you, with several illustrations. This is how they shall see the beginning of such a terrible thing in someone’s life. As much as there is a chance they are likely to inherit the bad habit from you, the right approach will see them better prepared to avoid such an outcome.
In case you are still dealing with your addictions, you shall discover more info in fighting that fight here.